Monday, October 17, 2011

FIRE!

Don't homes in London require fire alarms?

As a renter, I have never thought of looking for smoke detectors on our property.  The all-important devices are so common and expected, I've never actually searched for them.  I just assume they're there.  Problem is, they aren't!

Well, we sure could have used one yesterday.

We were going through the motions of our usual evening routines, getting kids cleaned up, house cleaned up, homework done, teeth brushed, etc.  I assumed the smoke that was winding through the house and tickling my nose was Dave lighting a candle downstairs or something.  But when the smell grew more persistent, I had to inquire "Why are you lighting candles down there?"....to which "I'm not lighting candles" set me into a serious panic. 

Frantic searching revealed that our bedspread was afire.  Seriously.  Smoke was bellowing from it and a large hole, about the size of a fist, had burned through the comforter/bedspread and the blanket underneath.  The thing was in the initial stages of going up in flames!  The source of the fire was a bedside lamp that our son had pushed aside to get to his ipod charger.  What he didn't realize is that when he moved the lamp, the bulb of the lamp was essentially pushed down onto the bedspread.  Those bulbs can be mighty hot, as this one was! 

We are fortunate.  We could have had a house fire.  Instead, I'm feeling lucky I'll just have to shop for some new bedding, and I had to have the windows open for the entire day.  But it has left me wondering - where are our smoke alarms?  Aren't they required in London homes? 

All I know is that I'm heading to the hardware store to pick up some fire alarms tomorrow, maybe even tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Wow you guys were lucky! Never assume anything!

    I suspect it might have had to do with the higher wattage as well, resulting in the lightbulb being hotter to the touch.

    Glad to hear all is OK (apart from a bit of a scare).

    ReplyDelete