Thursday, November 3, 2011

Visitors From Switzerland and the Queen herself

Happy arrival!

Mid-October brought a much welcomed visit from our dear friends who live in Switzerland.  They moved from our little suburb in the Minneapolis area to Switzerland just a few months after we moved to London.  We've been sharing success stories, hair-pulling difficulties and interesting experiences with one another ever since they landed (and even beforehand) in beautiful Vevey, Switzerland.

They've kept a fantastic blog which I highly recommend:
http://afamilyinswitzerland-homan.blogspot.com/
A Family In Switzerland
My friend Janna keeps me in stitches with her humor and clever postings, and their daughters add sweet and innocent postings in the mix.

yes the sun does shine in London


 Two fantastic results of their visit.  Number one, I was reminded of what a great city London is, and how we really are lucky to be here.  Their life is quite different (sounds like fresh-air paradise and land of chocolate, mountains and cheese...) in Vevey. They raved about the London sightseeing, the variety of amazing restaurants (not to mention MUCH better prices than in Switzerland), shopping opportunities abounding at every corner, the ability to communicate in their native tongue, the great playgrounds for children....
All this was a nice reminder for me; we've settled ourselves and become blinded under the banalities of the day to day living.  Secondly, I was reminded of how much I miss my friends and family from Minnesota.  It was so easy, so natural, so relaxing to be with them because we've known one another for quite some time....and we just don't have that history with anyone here in London.  Friends and family in Minnesota:  hear me loud and clear!  We miss you!!

Tower Bridge
I am absolutely convinced that when we arrive in Switzerland (for Christmas - hooray!) we will fall in love with all that it has to offer and we'll be hesitant to go back to London.  Switzerland holds some sort of aura of a land of peace and paradise all in one.

Visit to the Tower of London (our first time touring the interior as well!!)
Ancient castle nestled in the bustling modern city


Kids are fascinated by the beef eaters and the guards







Trying to keep the dads from buying too many trinkets....

"why are we standing here...why do kids have to go into every gift shop? they spend more time in the shop than visiting the actual site"



Back at their best

Visit to Buckingham Palace and Changing of the guards
Admittedly, the highlight of the Swiss visitors' time in London was not their luxury accommodations at our little maison.  No, indeed nothing could top the fact that we SAW THE QUEEN.  Unfortunately I was shaking in my boots out of shock and couldn't even respond to get my camera, but we did see her enter the palace, she was in her car, and we were not far away...I do believe she waved at us.








The best playground in all of London - the Princess Diana Memorial Playground in Kensington Gardens



Neighborhood stuff!

dinner at Lemonia in Primrose

fun times


crazy kids on the local streets

Ally got to bring Erika to school with her one day!

our preferred mode of transport

Pros on the tube
 What are the chances that two great friends would find themselves ex-patted with their families to Europe at the same time?  I've never heard of such a thing, but it has happened for Erika and Ally, and for me and Janna.  We have been very blessed by this visit from Switzerland! 

happy tea pot




2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you spent this precious time together! This is my first comment, but I just had to say hello. My daughter Alexandra misses Ally and Elizabeth very much! Please say hello to Ally from Alex (I am mom Irina) :)..
    All the best from Minnesota...

    Blessings,
    -Irina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did I say Elizabeth, ERIKA!!!! I'm sorry ...it's late and I'm coming off of a cold...and have the Queen on my mind!! Ha...;)

    ReplyDelete