Wednesday, April 18, 2012

What I love (and don't love) about LONDON

I love:
  • the parks - what GREAT green spaces London boasts!
  • the history - mind boggling...makes me feel like a dunce
  • public transportation - usually lovely, usually reliable 
  • walking almost everywhere - to school, to the gym, to the store, to the library, to the market, to restaurants, to parks....
  • the international flavor ~ fantastic restaurants and a sense that we are in the middle of the world - a flight away from Asia or the Americas
  • living in a country with a real Queen, fairy-tale stories of "commoner-turned-Princess", and lots of castles
  • the BBC
  • fantastic FREE museums

I don't like:
  • so many people smoking!  Yuck!
  • a certain British arrogance that I can't put a name on
  • crowds...sometimes there are just too many people in one spot
  • pollution!  Yuck!
  • the attitude of "children should be seen and not heard", most commonly reflected in all the "no ball games, skating, scootering" signs in all courtyards or grassy areas
  • the costs - yikes - sooo expensive
  • lack of customer service 
  • worrying about being mugged or having our home broken in to
  • British plumbing, I can't even explain it...I don't like their toilets, the hard water, the leaks, the water tanks in the attic, noisy pumps, etc.

I miss most(and can't seem to replace)
  • my liquid coffee creamer (the Trader Joe's variety of Coffeemate vanilla)
  • my health club - Lifetime Fitness
  • Target, how I miss thee

I can't live without (and could NEVER replace):
  • family ~ sucks to miss out on birthdays and get togethers and all of those special family moments or just being together
  • my dear friends
  • Minnesota summers

No comments:

Post a Comment